As I have mentioned in previous posts, at the beginning of each month, the G’s receive a box or two of my baked treats(see original post, here). With another school auction this past spring, I was asked to donate yet another “sweet of the month” and me being who I am, I couldn’t say NO. So now, both the G’s and the M’s get something sweet, on their doorstep each month ( sometimes even twice a month).
I needed to use up, yet, more zucchini. I have been making a lot of tarts and baked savory dishes and was ready for something sweet. I found this recipe for a cake (here), but changed it up a bit. Instead of the cake, I choose to make muffins. I was able to pack up a half a dozen muffins for each the G’s and the M’s and they had a nice little treat for a weekday morning breakfast.
All three of my kids ate these without one mention that there was something “green” in their muffin. I made a few extra and froze them after they were baked. With school looming right around the corner, these are going to be a feather in my cap on those oh so very rushed mornings. These are a win, win sweet + savory treat!
Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Streusel Topping
1/2 cup softened butter, organic
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups all- purpose flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat organic flour
2 1/4 cups, peeled, grated zucchini
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup mini, bittersweet chocolate chips
• preheat oven to 350*. Line 2 – 12 cup capacity muffin tins with paper liners.
for the cake:
• in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. add the eggs, vanilla, water, and buttermilk, mix to combine.
• in another bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. whisk to combine.
• add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine. fold in the zucchini.
• using a 1/4 cup ice cream scooper, scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. fill them up about 3/4 of the way to the top.
for the streusel topping
• combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly
• sprinkle mixture (about 1 tablespoon) over each muffin.
• bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes.
enjoy with a big glass of cold milk!
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com