These are more like a cake than a muffin. Light, not at all dense and the perfect balance of sweet and savory ( I added a touch of balsamic). These would be a delicious addition to any brunch menu or they could really just stand on their own.
I like making muffins for breakfast. The ingredients can be measured out the night before, they take 5 minutes to mix up and only about 25 minutes to bake. Muffins are best eaten the day they are made. I usually send the uneaten muffins to their teachers and the school’s office staff. If I didn’t, I would eat them, all of them, and that just wouldn’t be such a good thing!
2 cups organic unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sucanat
1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into cubes
1 cup organic heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup strawberries, diced
1 1/2 Tbls. balsamic vinegar
• preheat oven to 350*. line 16 muffin cups with paper liners
• in a small bowl combine the strawberries and the balsamic. set aside
• in the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flour, baking powder, and sugar. add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
• combine the egg, cream and vanilla, whisk and add to the flour mixture. pulse a few times until the mixture JUST comes together. don’t over mix.
• drain the berries of most of it’s liquid and add to the batter. mix by hand until the strawberries are embedded into the dough.
• scoop into the prepared muffin tins ( I use a 1/2 cup ice cream scooper).
• bake for 25-30 minutes. they are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with a little bit of crumbs on them.
• let cool completely and then dust with powdered sugar.
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com
Wow j’aime beaucoup :)Choupinette
These are great! I would eat almost anything if it made from strawberries!
Hi Susan.. you commented on my blog http://www.sweetbitesblog.com a couple of days ago and asked me where I got the recipe for the ice cream cake… I’m sending this information this way, since I could not find a “contact” on your blog…Anyways, the book that I bake from is the Rose Levy Beranbaum – Rose’s Heavenly Cakes and the recipe was for the Ice Cream Cake. If you want the recipe, I will be happy to send it to you via email… let me know. We don’t post it on the blog due to a request from the book publisher. Thanks for leaving a comment!
Lovely… and who does not love a muffin / cake with strawberries. Thank you so much for sharing.