I had a little bit of both chocolate butter cream (from here) and the dulce de leche butter cream (from here) left over, from last weeks creations. If you know me, I don’t throw much away. My tomatoes almost gone bad turns into tortilla soup, at the end of the week, my veggie drawer turns into either a stir fry or a big hearty vegetable soup and if I have either (or both) zucchinis and leeks, I make an orzo, a farro salad or some some sort of fritter.
I am a planner. I make lists, I plan a weeks worth of meals and shop accordingly (actually, Miguel shops accordingly- with a typed up list, broken down by market) and I always cook with the mind set that there needs to be something left over for lunch the next day. Yeah, Miguel brown bags it! However, I am guilty of not always following through with my “weekly meal plan” and there are those rare occasions where we call up Mulberry Pizza and order a huge pie.
So, when I had this left over butter cream sitting in the fridge, I couldn’t toss it. I found the perfect cookie to embrace two very different butter creams. We brought these to dinner at friends and all enjoyed them as we ate in their Sukkah, under a sky filled with lots and lots of stars.
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
zest from 2 oranges
1 Tbsp. orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
• preheat oven to 325*. line 2 baking sheets with parchment
• in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, confectioner’s sugar and the orange zest until smooth.
• add the orange juice and the vanilla.
• in a small bowl, combine the salt, flour, and cornstarch. whisk to combine. slowly add it to the mixer and combine thoroughly.
• place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. pipe small, one inch rosettes onto the parchment lined cookie sheets.
• bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
• allow to cool completely.
• pipe a small amount of butter cream on a rosette and make small rosette cookie sandwiches!
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com