New Years Eve is tomorrow night. Before kids, the hubs and I would pick a great restaurant, go out with friends, drink too much, and spend way too much money. After several years of that, we switched to cooking an amazing meal at home, made great cocktails, invited friends, and played board games until dawn.
Then we started a family. When Eli was young, we grabbed my parents and made 6p.m. reservations at The Palm. Came home, put on our sweats, and played games. We now bring in the New Year with friends, great food, cocktails, and lots of board games. The kids like to stay up until 12(I rarely make it) and the evening usually ends with someone else’s kid sleeping here, and one of ours sleeping elsewhere.
This year we are having cocktails with friends. A light snack of cripsy potato skins and a simple “French Blonde Cocktail” to start off the evening. After that, a huge Tripoli match is on tap along with chocolate lava cakes. Let’s just hope I make it until 9p.m. That way I can at least bring in the New Year, east coast time!
French Blonde Cocktail
2. strain liquid into a fancy glass
3. garnish with a lemon rind
Crispy Potato Skins
1/4 cup(2 oz.) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Celtic Sea Salt
2. preheat oven to 350*
3. grate cheese. set aside.
4. using a vegetable peeler, slice potatoes about 3-4″ in length. set aside.
5. fry potato skins in batches, until browned and crisp. using a slotted spoon, ransfer to a small rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towel. sprinkle half the skins with truffle salt (you may have to do in 2-3 batches).
7. transfer the other half of the potatoes to a different rimmed baking sheet and generously sprinkle with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. bake until the cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
8. remove from oven and let cool. transter to a serving bowl.
9. serve with mustard dipping sauce
Mustard Dipping Sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
4 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tps. grainy mustard
1-2 squirts Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
2. can be made the day ahead
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com
More Yummy Cocktails and Appetizers around the Web:
French 75 + A Great Round-Up – Ezra Pound Cake
Pomegranate Ginger Cocktail – Active Foodie
Cranberry Ginger Cocktail – Pixelated Crumb
Kahlua Float – Heather Cristo
Moscow Mule – The Urban Baker
Thai Chicken Bites – Laurens Latest
Bruschetta with Tuna – White on Rice Couple
Truffle Butter Parmesan and Thyme Popcorn – Gourmand in the Kitchen
Beer Battered Onion Rings – Saveur Recipes
Mozzarella Skewers – The Urban Baker