Yesterday was National Coffee Day. I am not a huge coffee drinker. If I do drink it, I get something like an iced latte. Feels more like a milkshake rather than a coffee drink. Kind of like a snack rather than a vice or a morning habit.
So, I decided to turn my coffee creation into a sweet. No duh ( as Levi has been known to say). These bars pack a huge jolt. With that said, I decided to cut them into small portions. Eat them sparingly!
Coffee Crunch Bars
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbls. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
2 Tbls. instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds
• preheat oven to 325*. set aside a 9 x 13″ baking pan
• whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
• in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until blended.
• add espresso powder and vanilla.
• add flour, in 3 additions, mixing until well combined
• stir in chocolate and almonds
• turn dough into baking pan. spread evenly with an off set spatula. pierce with a fork
• bake until edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 45-50. cool on a rack and after one minute,
• can store in an airtight container for 5 days.
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com