1. Soak the cherries in 1/4 cup rum for at least 4 hours.
2. Position oven rack in center of oven. Preheat to 350*. Butter a 10-cup bundt or tube pan. Dust with flour
3. Chop the nuts, relatively fine, mix them with the chocolate chips, and set aside
4. Sift flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder
5. Beat the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy. In a small bowl mix the eggs and egg yolk. Slowly add to the mixer. Add the vanilla.
6. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk and then the remaining dry ingredients. Stir in the nuts and chips.
7. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes (this is a really fudgy cake so make sure the toothpick comes out clean). Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Poke 50 times with a toothpick and slowly drizzle the remaining 6 tbsp. of rum over cake (I didn’t do this cuz I knew my kids wouldn’t like it). Let cool for 30 mins more. Then invert cake and serve. Let cake cool completely. I did not do this and a quarter of the cake just stayed in the pan. So depressing!
8. Glaze with your choice of glaze. I did the following:
•12 oz. bittersweet chocolate
•3/4 cup water
•3/4 cup heavy cream
1. chop the chocolate and put in heat proof bowl. Add water and cream.
2. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring gently, until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool. You could add some more rum to this if you want… I didn’t.